Should Congress set new limits on the president’s powers during times of national emergency? This activity includes a deliberation reading and glossary. It also includes handouts that guide students through the deliberation process from planning to reflection.
Deliberation teaches people how to discuss controversial issues by carefully considering multiple perspectives and searching for consensus. In preparation for deliberations, all participants read common, balanced background information on the issue. During the discourse, they offer arguments for each position on a contested public issue, first drawing from the text and then bringing in their own experiences.
- Read a detailed description of the Deliberation method.
- Our Deliberation Resource Bundle and Video includes several resources to help you successfully conduct deliberations in your classroom.
- Format: downloadable PDF (You must create an account and "check out"* to download free resources. You will not be required to provide payment information.)
- © 2023 Street Law, Inc. Free for non-commercial educational use. Permissions questions? Email [email protected]
- Learn more about Street Law's commitment and approach to quality curriculum.