New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc. v. Bruen was one of our fall 2021 SCOTUS in the Classroom cases.
Each SCOTUS Term, Street Law selects the most classroom-relevant, student-friendly cases as our SCOTUS in the Classroom cases. Teachers are encouraged to hold moot courts or mini-moot courts of the case the same weeks that the Supreme Court hears arguments, giving students the opportunity to follow discussion and analysis in the news and listen to or read a transcript of the actual oral arguments at the Court.
Case Summary and Activities:
- To download the case summary, use the add to cart button above.
- Applying Precedents Activity
- Classifying Arguments Activity
Does New York's law requiring that applicants for concealed-carry licenses demonstrate a special need for self-defense (the Sullivan Act) violate the Second Amendment?
- Brief of Petitioner: New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Robert Nash, and Brandon Koch
- Brief of Respondent: Kevin Bruen
- Link to the opinion of the Court (to be posted after the decision is announced)
News Articles and Resources:
- SCOTUSBlog: "In major Second Amendment case, court will review limits on carrying a concealed gun in public" (October 27, 2021)
- The Hill: "Locked and Loaded: Supreme Court is ready for a showdown on the Second Amendment" (October 16, 2021)
How to Conduct a Moot Court or a Mini-Moot Court:
- All Street Law Case Summaries include case facts, issues, relevant constitutional provisions/statutes/precedents, arguments for each side, and decision. They have been reviewed by both legal experts and educators and are ready for classroom use.
- Format: downloadable .pdf and Word .docx (You must create an account and "check out" to download free resources. You will not be required to provide payment information.)
- © 2021 Street Law, Inc. Free for non-commercial educational use. Permissions questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Supreme Court Historical Society is our longstanding partner in the development of U.S. Supreme Court-themed classroom resources.
- Learn more about Street Law's commitment and approach to quality curriculum.