A moot court is a role-play of an appeals court or Supreme Court hearing. This 10-lesson-plan guide supports teachers in implementing moot courts in their classrooms. The lessons help set the stage for a successful moot court experience—from understanding the appellate process to granting cert to judicial opinion writing to evaluation tools.
The following resources are included in this .PDF guide (each lesson is also available as a single download using the links below):
- Lesson 1—The Court System: Which Court?
- Lesson 2—The Court System: Appellate Process
- Lesson 3—Deciding to Decide: Granting Cert
- Lesson 4—You Be the Justice
- Lesson 5—Deciphering Opinions
- Lesson 6—Applying Precedent
- Lesson 7—Judicial Opinion Writing
- Lesson 8—Analyzing Oral Argument Questions (Optional - Advanced)
- Lesson 9—Moot Court: Court is Now in Session
- Lesson 10—Mini-moot Courts (Optional)
- Format: downloadable .pdf (34 MB) (You must create an account and "check out" to download free resources. You will not be required to provide payment information.)
- © 2021 Street Law, Inc. Free for non-commercial educational use. Permissions questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Author and Contributor Acknowledgments
- Learn more about Street Law's commitment and approach to quality curriculum.