In this introductory lesson, students explore the elements or principles that must be present in a country in order for democracy to thrive. Students will:
- Define and describe through visual art at least one principle of democracy.
- Rate their country on specific principles.
- Explain the role of a citizen in supporting the health of a democracy.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the principles of democracy and why they are important.
Street Law suggests that teachers teach this lesson before doing our deliberation that explores "Is the United States' democracy healthy?"
- Format: downloadable PDF (You must create an account and "check out" to download free resources. You will not be required to provide payment information.)
- © 2011 Deliberating in a Democracy in the Americas. Excerpted and adapted from Democracy for All, © 1994 by Street Law, Inc. and Street Law South Africa. Free for non-commercial educational use. Permissions questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org