This short video covers three essential teaching strategies. These tips will be most useful to non-educators that are using Street Law strategies and resources, such as law students or attorneys volunteering in classrooms.
- Wait time is a simple strategy that facilitators can use to increase student engagement and improve student responses to a question.
- Checking for Understanding can be used at crucial moments in the lesson when students must understand directions or content so that the lesson may move forward.
- Focusing a lesson on Inquiry allows students to talk themselves to understanding and do the heavy intellectual lifting of the lesson.
This resource also includes:
- “Facilitator Tips” Video Walkthrough Guide: This guide is designed to help prepare a group of law students to deliver Street Law lessons more effectively using research-based facilitation strategies. It can also be used to prepare other non-educators who are volunteering in the classroom.
- Additional resources to learn more about checking for understanding, inquiry, student engagement, and modeling.
To view video, scroll to the bottom of this page or watch it on YouTube.
- © 2019 Street Law, Inc. Free for non-commercial educational use. Permissions questions? Email [email protected]