National Institute of Family and Life Advocates v. Becerra was our winter 2018 SCOTUS in the Classroom case.
Each SCOTUS Term, Street Law selects the most classroom-relevant, student-friendly cases as our SCOTUS in the Classroom cases. Teachers are encouraged to hold moot courts or mini-moot courts of the case the same weeks that the Supreme Court hears arguments, giving students the opportunity to follow discussion and analysis in the news and listen to or read a transcript of the actual oral arguments at the Court.
To download the case summary, use the add to cart button above.
Does a state law requiring crisis pregnancy centers to post or disseminate information about the availability of contraceptive and abortion services violate the First Amendment?
- Brief of Petitioner: National Institute of Family and Life Advocates
- Brief of Respondent: Becerra
- Amici: available on SCOTUSblog's case page
News Articles and Resources:
- Justices take on First Amendment challenge to state abortion disclosure laws: In Plain English
- Supreme Court agrees to hear antiabortion challenge to California disclosure law for pregnancy centers
- Argument preview: Justices take on First Amendment challenge to state abortion-disclosure laws
- Opinion analysis: Divided court rules for anti-abortion pregnancy centers in challenge to California law
How to Conduct a Moot Court or a Mini-Moot Court:
- All Street Law Case Summaries include case facts, issues, relevant constitutional provisions/statutes/precedents, arguments for each side, and decision. They have been reviewed by both legal experts and educators and are ready for classroom use.
- Format: downloadable Word .docx (You must create an account and "check out" to download free resources. You will not be required to provide payment information.)
- © 2018 Street Law, Inc. Free for non-commercial educational use. Permissions questions? Email email@example.com
- The Supreme Court Historical Society is our longstanding partner in the development of U.S. Supreme Court-themed classroom resources.
- Learn more about Street Law's commitment and approach to quality curriculum.