For a limited time, you can download a free sample lesson from Street Law's Legal Life Skills Lesson Library! We will release four free Legal Life Skill lessons over the course of the 2021-2022 school year as part of our Legal Life Skills in the Classroom initiative.
During our pilot phase, “Negotiating and Signing a Residential Lease” was a popular student choice during the likelihood that they would be signing their own residential leases in the near future. In the lesson, students participate in a mock lease negotiation, taking on the roles of tenant and landlord to learn about the legal issues and perspectives of both sides of the lease agreement process.
This lesson is only available until June 30, 2022, and after June, no other lessons will be available.
- Sept. 1 - November 30, 2021: What Does a Good Citizen Know, Believe, and Do? NO LONGER AVAILABLE
- Dec. 1 - Jan. 31, 2022: Introduction to Criminal Law: Should It Be a Crime? NO LONGER AVAILABLE
- Feb. 1 - April 15, 2022: Interviewing for a Job: Know Your Strengths and Your Right NO LONGER AVAILABLE
- April 15 - June 30 2022: Negotiating and Signing a Residential Lease
After each lesson is removed, the only way to access it will be by purchasing our full Legal Life Skills lesson curriculum.
About Legal Life Skills in the Classroom
Our traditional Legal Life Skills lessons are not designed with classrooms in mind. However, with the support of the Herb Block Foundation, we recently embarked upon a pilot program to introduce our Legal Life Skills lessons to classroom teachers.
A group of pilot teachers from across the U.S. received access to all 20 LLS lessons, participated in a brief collaborative planning workshop, and participated in a Q&A with a former Legal Life Skills program participant who offered teachers insight and advice about integrating the lessons into instruction.
Teachers taught at least four lessons in their classrooms and then provided Street Law with feedback on the lessons and the ways that they modified the lessons to suit their class’s needs.
In addition to the free LLS lessons, you can also find advice, best tips, and guidance from the pilot teachers on how to use these resources in your own classroom.
- Format: Downloadable PDF (You must create an account and "check out" to download free resources. You will not be required to provide payment information.)
- © 2017 Street Law, Inc. Free for non-commercial educational use. Permissions questions? Email [email protected].
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
An excellent practical resource to help my students